Wednesday 18 May 2016

Book review : Asylum by Madeleine Roux



For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program—it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum—a last resort for the criminally insane. As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.


*****
I am a big fan of horror and paranormal books (and TV series) although I would usually read horror books when I am not alone at home. But this is the first horror book that I read in 2016 as I was preoccupied with fantasy and LGBT YA books this year. This book was not as scary as it looks. Its about a teenager named Dan attended a summer program and had to live in an old building used to be an asylum. He discovered secrets about the asylum together with his two new friends, and later questioned his mental state as well when he started seeing things and strange events occurred around him.

I wouldn't say this book is amazing, its not that scary as I thought it would be. I was attracted to read this book in the first place because of the cover and the title. This book featured some photos from real asylums, some were quite disturbing while others were just to make the book looks interesting. The plot and the characters were quite weak as it didn't leave any impression on me. It felt very unreal. The writer was trying to create a romance between Dan and one of his friend; Abby but I think it failed completely. But the ending was quite unexpected though. This is just the first book from Madeleine Roux, I might read the sequel later.

I give this book 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment