Tuesday 3 May 2016

Book review : Annie on my mind by Nancy Garden



This groundbreaking book is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings. This book is so truthful and honest, it has been banned from many school libraries and even publicly burned in Kansas City.


Of the author and the book, the Margaret A. Edwards Award committee said, “Nancy Garden has the distinction of being the first author for young adults to create a lesbian love story with a positive ending. Using a fluid, readable style, Garden opens a window through which readers can find courage to be true to themselves.”
*****
This book is a must read classic coming out happy ending young adult book for LGBT book fan. I bought this book in the Big Bad Wolf sale and was super excited. I have the e-book version in my Ipad but I haven't read it cause I was planning to get myself a physical copy of this book. Got it for a very cheap price in Big Bad Wolf, so yay! I am actually not a big fan of coming out books or stories involving teenagers exploring and guessing their sexuality, but I feel like I really want to read this book.

This book was written based on the point of view of a girl named Eliza. She wrote several letters to her best friend, Annie (which she did not send any of them) and readers get to know about how Eliza and Annie first met, becoming friends, falling in love, struggle with the issue of sexuality, how they got caught by Eliza's teacher, how they cope with homophobia and their decision to come out to family and friends. This book was published in 1982, so I guessed that being gay around this time was pretty hard. 

This book was thin around 200 ++ pages. I could finish this book in just a day or two. The language was easy. I really like this cover. I think this book used to be banned and burned in several schools before homosexuality was widely accepted in the US. I love Annie's character and the chemistry between the two main characters were great. I like how Eliza always thinking about Annie but at the same time afraid to explore her feelings.

This book was great, I give this book 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment