Thursday 4 February 2016

Book Review : Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo



Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...


A convict with a thirst for revenge.


A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.


Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.


*****

I love this book so much and it was super amazing. The book was quite thick 400++ pages but it was worth it. The language was good and understandable for non English speakers. If you love Ocean Eleven, than you would love Six of Crows. The writer of this book was the same writer who wrote the famous Grisha trilogy which I haven't read yet, but I will later. The story took place in the Grisha universe so at first it was kinda hard for me to understand the unfamiliar 'Grisha jargon' in the story, but once you started to read and understand the plot I guess it was ok. Some readers might recommend you to read the Grisha trilogy before reading the Six of Crows, but it was fine with me.

The story was about six unique individuals with different personality, different skills and different backgrounds went for a deadly mission to break out a prisoner from the Ice Court. Readers will understand  all of the characters and their backgrounds as the point of view in this book shifted from one character to another. I love how the writer wrote about each characters' POV and their interactions. Kaz Brekker especially, the leader and mastermind of the team reminded me a lot of Ciel Phantomhive from a Japanese manga, Kuroshitsuji. I have no favourite character because I LOVE them all. 

The book started quite slow in the beginning maybe because I was having trouble to understand some of the words and the characters in the book. Those who have read the Grisha trilogy might not experience the same as me. I really love the energy, the action,  the plot, and the romances in the story. The romances were subtle and not cheesy. So I really like it as I am not a big fan of romance novel.

I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE and I will definitely read the Grisha trilogy later. I can't wait to read the continuation of this book. Thank you Leigh Bardugo for writing such an amazing book.

I give this book  5 stars (out of 5).

check out this fan art

2 comments: